Tres Leches Cake
Author: LC-Foods Community
Recipe type: Dessert
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 1 cup LC-Natural Sweet White
- ¼ cup LC-Milk (milk made from powder)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups LC-Cake Flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- MILK MIXTURE
- ⅔ cup LC-Milk (milk made from the powder)
- 7 oz LC-Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ½ can Media Cream (table cream)
- FILLING AND TOPPING
- Sugar free caramel topping
- 1 cup (1/2 pt.) heavy cream, chilled
- ¼ cup LC-Confectionery Powder
- HEAT oven to 350° F.
- LINE two 8" round cake pans with foil and spray with non stick cooking spray with flour.
- BEAT egg yolks and 1 cup LC-Natural Sweet in a large mixer bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until almost stiff. Blend in LC-Milk, vanilla, LC-Cake Flour and baking powder.
- WHIP egg whites in a small mixer bowl on medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into yolk mixture. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 34 to 36 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes.
- When cakes have cooled, poke cakes with fork all over (leave cakes in pans). Pour milk mixture over cakes and allow to soak in. It doesn’t matter if mixture goes under the cake or over sides (because of the consistency of the LC-Sweetened Condensed Milk, it may not soak in fully and that’s okay).
- Let cakes cool completely in pans. While cakes are cooling make the frosting. Beat the whipping cream until it starts to get firm, add LC-Confectionery Powder gradually until it is of a stiff but spreadable consistency.
- Once cooled, turn one pan out onto a plate. This can be tricky but remove the cake with the foil surrounding it and turn upside down on plate. Begin to pull foil off carefully until cake is free from foil.
- Spread sugar free caramel topping onto the bottom layer cake (there will be milk mixture on the bottom of the plate as well).
- Carefully spread whipped topping mixture onto the bottom cake layer.
- Turn top layer of cake over onto the bottom layer just like you did with the other and continue frosting with the whipped topping mixture.
- Refrigerate for a few hours until chilled.