Lower Carb Gluten Free Squash Gratin
Author: LC Foods
Recipe type: Main
Try this delicious low carb gluten free squash gratin, perfect for the fall season! Made with LC-Breading & Crusting Mix. 28 Net Carbs & 11g of Protein (Per 1 Cup).
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 small butternut squash, chopped
- 1 small acorn squash, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground mace
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ Cup LC-Breading & Crusting Mix
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- ½ cup gruyere cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and thyme and cook, stirring, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Combine the butternut and acorn squash in a large microwave-safe bowl with 1 cup of water. Cover with plastic and microwave until squash is just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and add the squash to the skillet along with the garlic, mace, 1 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring, about 3 minutes. Add broth and cook until it is mostly absorbed, about 5 more minutes. Stir in heavy cream and cook until slightly thickened, 2 minutes.
- Melt the remaining butter in the microwave and toss with the breadcrumbs, parmesan, and parsley; season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the squash, then top with gruyere. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until golden, about 30 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe Adapted from Food Network Magazine