Author: Silvia W. Nahr
Recipe type: Main
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in ½ cup warm water.
- Add 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the oil, salt, remaining warm water and sugar, and 4 cups flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 16 pieces.
- Shape each into a ball.
- Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat egg white and cold water. Brush over rolls. Sprinkle with poppy and/or sesame seeds. With scissors, cut a ¼ inch deep cross on tops of rolls.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.