This makes a very rich, tasty sauce that would be nice over all kinds of things, like chicken, meatballs, fish, vegetables etc. This is also the perfect low carb version for recipes like our Broccoli Chicken Divan!
Dottie's Cream of Mushroom Soup
Author: Linda at LINDA'S LOW CARB MENUS & RECIPES (genaw.com)
Recipe type: Soup
- 8 small mushrooms, chopped, 3 ounces
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion, chopped, about 1 ounce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- LC-Thick'n Saucy, optional*
- In a medium skillet, sauté the mushrooms, celery and onion in the butter until soft.
- Add the broth and cream.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat a bit and cook until reduced and thickened, stirring frequently and watching closely so it doesn't boil over.
- After adding the cream, make sure you simmer it long enough so that the cream is no longer white and takes on the light brownish color of the mushrooms. If you can afford the carbs, a few more mushrooms would be even better.
- Season to taste.
- Makes about 1 cup
- Do not freeze
- * If you have some LC-Thick'n Saucy on hand, you can very lightly sprinkle a little over the soup just as it starts to thicken and quickly stir it in, adding a little more if needed until the soup gets thick to your liking. You may need to let it stand a minute to let it start to work before adding more. I found that this addition helps to stabilize the soup. Another benefit of adding the thickener is that you won't have to reduce the broth and cream quite as much so you'll end up with more soup for no extra carbs.
- Per batch: 873 Calories; 90g Fat; 8g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 9g Net Carbs